Coin & Bar Images

« Older   Newer »

1.     +6   +1   -1

Group

Status
    I know a lot of you have seen my coin shots but maybe there are a few who would still be interested. I got a lot of feedback at GIM2 saying my pictures motivated them to buy.

That can't be all bad.

Here's a Panda. This really nice coin series had the misfortune to be probably the most counterfeited coin ever. It got so bad that, unless you bought from a major dealer, you almost certainly got screwed with a fake. And almost all the counterfeiters were Chinese nationals.

I though it was weird, Pandas are the Chinese national coin, produced by their national mint like our Silver Eagles. I'm pretty sure that, if a bunch of groups of Americans had counterfeited SAE's to the point that they destroyed the market, the Secret Service would have been all over them.

But in a country that allowed export pet food makers to place a actual poison that mimicked protein in their food to boost their profits? Who knows what in the hell is going through their minds.

Real Pandas were a really nice coin series though.

panda%202011

Edited by TomD - 4/19/2024, 04:49 PM

2.     +1   -1

Group

Status
    I would think the CCP endorses and probably finances the knock off practice.

3.     +6   +1   -1

Group

Status
    A type set
    Attached Image
    20240419_191019

4.     +4   +1   -1

Group

Status
    Silver lunar coins from the Perth Mint in Australia

Two coins shown: a Dragon from Series 1 and a Tiger from Series 2dragon%20ser%201

tiger%20and%20copper

5.     +3   +1   -1

Group

Status
    I've said it before, Tom, your pictures are fantastic. Thanks for the images.

6.     +3   +1   -1

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    QUOTE (TomD @ 4/19/2024, 11:48 PM) 
    I know a lot of you have seen my coin shots but maybe there are a few who would still be interested.

Always interesting. I never tire looking at beautiful coins and you capture them magnificently in your shots. Post as many as you can. :)
    And thank you!

7.     +2   +1   -1

Group

Status
    Australia, considering it's population, mints way more than its' fair share of the really nice coins. Here are a few of their Kookaburra series, from early to later.

I was lucky since, like a lot of us, started buying bullion coins before they got really expensive.

1991%20Kook%203

2011%20Kookaburra

2019%20Kookaburra

8.     +1   -1

Advanced Member

Group

Status
    QUOTE (TomD @ 4/21/2024, 07:54 PM) 
    Australia, considering it's population, mints way more than its' fair share of the really nice coins.

If I'm not mistaken, it was a post by Irons on GIM2 that got me to looking at Kookaburra coins. They are beautiful coins. I've bought some since reading posts on GIM2. I just wish I had bought more! :)

9.     +5   +1   -1

Group

Status
    For a number of years, a female Mexican coin seller and I where pretty good friends. I helped her get US stuff and she sent some stuff to me that I would have never heard of otherwise. It helps that I really like their coins.

Below are a few offbeat coins that she's sent. These are wild enough that I've posted them a few time before. One of them, "Numeracion Maya" has a funny story. I've sold a few pictures here and there but the people wanting to purchase rights to use that coin picture surprised me. They were a Mexican textbook publisher who ended up putting that image into a Spanish language grammar school arithmetic textbook. If you look closely at the coin, you'll see why, it shows how the Mayans counted.

The Don Quijote coin is a riot! I've never seen anything to equal that. And the Azteca Calendario is a classic.

Numercion%20Maya

Don%20Quijote

Calendario850-17139102840936

10.     +1   +1   -1

Group

Status
    These are all Canadian. Not sure Canadian coins have ever been appreciated no matter what iteration of GIM. It somehow morphed into a near universal hate for the (then) Queen, which I never understood. The image on the gold maple below is from just after WWII. I don't know how much was for show at the time but she supposedly worked during the war as a truck mechanic.

I seem to have ended up with lots of Canadian coins. Some of my garden variety silver Maples ended up with the "milk spot" disease.

canada%20snake

canada%20toonie

canadian%202006%20dollar

Maple%20gold%202

silver%20Maple_edited-1

9 replies since 19/4/2024, 22:48   146 views